Bitwarden supports two-step login by using a third-party authenticator app such as Authy, Google Authenticator, or FreeOTP.
Enable Two-step Login with Authenticator App
Two-step login can permanently lock you out of your account. It is very important that you write down and keep your two-step login recovery code in a safe place in the event that you lose access to your authenticator app.
- Log in to the web vault at https://vault.bitwarden.com
- Click Settings in the top navigation bar, then click Two-step Login from the side menu.
- Select the Manage button for the Authenticator option and then type in your master password to continue.
- Follow the steps that appear
- Download an authenticator app (usually on your mobile device). We recommend Authy.
- Scan the QR code with the app.
- Enter the verification code from the app.
- Click the Enable button. A green alert will appear at the top stating that two-step login has been enabled.
- Click the Close button and confirm that the Authenticator option now shows as Enabled.
- IMPORTANT: Ensure that you have copied down your two-step login recovery code in case something goes wrong.
- Log out of the Bitwarden web vault.
- Log back into the Bitwarden web vault. You should now be prompted with an authenticator two-step login option.
- Authenticator protection works with all Bitwarden applications (web, mobile, desktop, browser). Log out of and back in to any other Bitwarden applications that you are using to confirm that two-step login via authenticator app is properly working. You will eventually be logged out automatically.